Monday, February 2, 2009

Ty's Essay :)

Ty LeVarge
Mr. H Salsich
English 02
February 2 2009

Imprisonment Isn't so Bad:
An Essay on My Thoughts of Imprisonment

If I were imprisoned, I would think of being imprisoned as not much of a punishment or a horrific synopsis like most. Rather, I would view this as an opportunity to let go of the chaos around us. This would be last thing on people’s mind because their mind would be tainted with chaos, with fears, and with sorrow. A single thought of being imprisoned could wreck the minds of many.

Although being imprisoned, if I was allowed to see one thing each day, I would have to choose between seeing my friends, and seeing just the outside in general. I would probably most likely want to see my friends. My friends are the soul of my life and they support me no matter what. If my friends weren’t there, my life would fragmentize around me. However, if I was not allowed that, my second option would be just see the outside world in general. To not see the outside and its beauty would be an unimaginable punishment because you cannot get a sense of vision and of what the day looks like every day. If one does not see the outside, they cannot sleep soundly, nor can they enjoy reaching something and to have high hopes of reaching a goal. I would choose my friends over all mainly, as without them; my world would be a dull and lifeless ball of chaos.

If I were to ever be imprisoned, I would say to myself “I would like to be as free as the air that surrounds us.” I would like to be able to roam anywhere possible like the air that stands within every small space. To be limited by no obstacle is a free being. To be free is to flow anywhere through boundless space. If one was free they could wander, they could explore, and they could venture into the unknown. Being free has little risks and few boundaries stopping you. You could do almost anything if you were truly free to do so by not only other’s limits, but your limits as well. One cannot be truly free unless they were immortal but immortality can be in one’s reach.

If I were ever imprisoned, it would seem like being in a nightmare, but you can get some positives out of it. You are basically placed on a leash and you have a chance to control the wants that you think you need. Everything that is not essential to one’s survival is a want because we could live without it. Being imprisoned, whether in a prison or maybe even grounded, is not a positive thing but good things can become of it.

2 comments:

tristan yerkes said...

Ty,
Great essay, I really liked your intro, it grabbed my attention like that *snaps fingers*. I just think you could perhaps refine your title and subtitle to conform to the correct capitalization rules, and put an apostrophe on "isnt". Also, I found the sentence "A single thought of being imprisoned can calm the mind for a few brief moments of a centered mind." at the end of the first paragraph rather confusing. Great ideas Ty!

Kyle said...

Ty,
Why would not being able to see the outside be a punishment? (remember to be specific) The sentence "it would seem like being a nightmare" is a little confusing and "thinks" in the last sentence should be things. I like how you described freedom as being like the air around us.