Monday, February 2, 2009

Imprisoned by Freedom

Sometimes, being imprisoned can teach you how to observe your surroundings better. In Shakespeare's "The Tempest", Ferdinand, made oblivious by his love for Miranda, does not learn this. There are two things I would like to be able to see if I were imprisoned. One to help me escape, and the other, something to remind me what it's like to be free to get me motivated. I will tell you about them both in this essay.

If I were imprisoned, one thing I would like to see each day would be the outdoors. To figure out how to escape, I would want to watch burrowing animals. By watching the animals, I would be able to make tools based on the shape of their claws. I would have to be very resourceful though, since I probably wouldn't be able to get many things without raising some suspicion. Another thing I'd want to see would be my friends and family. I could have them bring me the things I needed to escape, and I would want their support. If I couldn't see them, I would probably go insane.
All in all, I'd probably just try to avoid getting imprisoned in the first place.

Freedom is like being an owl. Owls are able to fly, able to sneak up on their prey without being noticed, and they are able to do just about anything they need to do. If they need to escape, they can just fly away. Even if they can't see the danger, they can hear it even before it can see or hear the owl. Owls are also nocturnal, unlike many larger predators. During the day, they can stay safe using their camoflouge, without their predators detecting them. Owls are stealthy creatures of the night, which happens to be the only downside to an owl:they can't go out during the day. Owls are safe, free, and awesome.

Although I would try not to get imprisoned in the first place, now I'll have something to think about. In "The Tempest", Ferdinand is imprisoned by Prospero. He tells Prospero that he could survive imprisonment if "[he] but once a day could behold [Miranda]". This is what I have compared to my own life in this brief essay.

No comments: