Friday, December 12, 2008

Kyle's Essay

Opening Paragraph
· “There’s only us. There’s only this. Forget regrets or life is yours to miss. No other hope. No other way. No day[,] but today!”-Jonathon Larson
· Regrets are meant to be learned from
· Resolutions are made from learning from regrets
· Resolutions are made from learning from regrets, but regrets are made from not following resolutions

1st Body Paragraph
· Regret many things, but don’t think we should dwell on our regrets
· Always regret talking back to my parents
· Can’t change what has already happened
· Can only change what I will do to prevent it from going further
· Don’t like to dwell on regrets
· Just makes me more depressed
· Can’t change them anyway

2nd Body Paragraph
· Would like to work on core value of integrity
· Integrity-firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values
· Means you need to follow what’s right
· Need to follow your own interpretation of what’s right
· Want to be able to live life right by the way I see it
· Want to follow my own morals and values
· Everyone has different morals and values so no one should live life the same as someone else
· Will feel better about myself
· Will feel that I am a better person by following what I believe in
· Will have a sense of self
· Everyone should live life with their own kind of integrity

Closing Paragraph
· “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important that any one thing.”-Abraham Lincoln
· We use what we learned from our regrets to deal with future mistakes
· Resolutions are the courses of action we decide upon should we encounter the same mistake
· I’ve had many regrets throughout life and have learned from them all
· Made it my resolution to live my life with integrity

Kyle Sebastian
Professor H. Salsich
Englich 02
13 December 2008

No one gets out alive anyway;
An essay on why we can't afford to dwell on regrets.

TS: “There’s only us. There’s only this. Forget regrets or life is yours to miss. No other hope. No other way. No day[,] but today!”(Jonathon Larson.) SD: Resolutions are made from learning from regrets, but regrets are made from not following resolutions. CM: Whenever you have regrets they aren’t meant for you to fret about, they’re things to learn from. CM: Once you learn from your regrets you make resolutions so that you won’t have to regret the same thing twice.

TS: Everyone has regrets, but I don’t think we should dwell on our regrets. SD: For example I greatly regret arguing with my parents the amount I do. CM: I can’t change what has happened and I regret that, but I don’t dwell on my mistakes. CM: I simply try and avoid them in the future. SD: I don’t like to dwell on my regrets. CM: If I think about my mistakes I simply get more depressed about them and beat myself up about what I could have done differently. CM: But since you can’t change the past, why bother worrying about it right?

TS: One of my major resolutions is to live life with integrity. SD: The dictionary definition of integrity is “Firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values.” CM: This means that you should live life the right way without people having to remind you to do so. CM: You need to live your life according to what you think is right regardless what everyone else may think. SD: I want to live my life the way I want to doing things that I think are right. CM: My definition of integrity, built as a foundation that holds up my morals and values, is to live your life by what you think is right for you and for others. CM: Since everyone has different morals and values no one should be living the same life as someone else, their life should be inimitable. SD: If I follow a lifestyle of integrity than I will also feel better about myself. CM: I’ll feel like I am a better person following what I believe in. CM: I will also have a sense of self, I will feel content and know that I’m not being superficial, I will be me. CS: I think everyone should live life by their own definition of integrity.

TS: “Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important that any one thing.” (Abraham Lincoln.) SD: We use what we learned from our regrets to deal with future mistakes. CM: We know that resolutions are the courses of action we decide upon should we encounter the same mistake. CM: I have had many regrets throughout my life and I have learned from them all.

Self Assessment

1.) What I like best about my essay is that I think that I was very honest with my feelings about being a better person.

2.) I think that the hardest part about this assignment was putting in a S-V split participle phrase that hopefully helped the writing.

Key

Purple=chiasmus

green=fast words

red=S-V split participle phrase

No comments: