Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Ty's FINAL essay

Ty LeVarge
Mr. Hamilton Salsich
English 02
May 26, 2009

Ruins are said to hold deep secrets. Tintern Abbey was one of those ruins that is popular even today. It was a sacred place to the poet William Wordsworth. I will also return to a sacred place of mine five years from now.
In Wordsworth's poem, "Tintern Abbey", he reflects on how he is seeing Tintern Abbey after five long years. He reflects upon how divine the Abbye seems after its aging years of being alone. The roof was taken off because of the new ruler in Wordsworth's time period and made the abbey closer to being a ruin. Later, it was overgrown with trees, grass and animals that made their home in the Abbey. Wordsworth speaks mainly of the Abbey's landscape and how it has changed since he last saw it. He remembers its beauty before it became more well known by tourists. Now, he sees it tamed and controled and not as natural as he remembered. He appreciates Tintern Abbey no matter how it may look.
Similarly, like Wordsworth, I will return to a sacred place in my life, Pine Point School. I will have returned and encounter memories as i walk into each individual classroom. I walk into Mr. Salsich's room and remember all of the good and bad memories of my past years. I would also explore the computer room and remember our math classes and computer classes we had in there. As I would explore the school, I would probably have sudden memories of certain events. Ideas would appear in my head of things like conversations with friends, classes, dances, and sports. Many memories would appear and make their way into my mind making them fresh again. Seeing this school after five years is going to be a wonderful experience.
Which is more educational, Ruins or places of knowledge? They are both about secrets and old memories. Artifacts and books are holders of secrets. Memories, dust, and knowledge are all that remains when someone leaves for five years.

No comments: